Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Saturday 12 May 2012

After the rain


Barn Owl over the rooftops at Stobswood


Pleated inkcap (Coprinus plicatilis)


Duke of Argyll's Teaplant (Lycium barbarum)


Broom (Cytisus scoparius)


4x4 came to grief at Low Stanners ford

Two days off and it rained most of the time. Thursday was horrible with persistent and heavy rain all day but I managed to get out yesterday in the lighter rain. I walked around Parkhouse farm North East of Morpeth over the railway and back by Temple's fields. Despite getting wet Duke of Argyll's Teaplant was a new plant for me. An introduction and used to thicken up hedging. Most records in Northumberland are along the coast especially dunes but there are a few scattered records further inland. It has a very attractive flower and so does Broom which is in full flower beside the railway line and the woodland edge. With recent rain the river Wansbeck was high and fast flowing but not the height it was two weeks ago. I came over the bridge at Low Stanners and noticed a land Rover which had been there overnight. It had attempted to cross the ford and was washed downstream. The driver, his young son, baby and family dog all managed to get out of the sun roof. 
In the evening I was thinking of going to the coast to see if any migrants were around but I couldn't resist a look around Stobswood. I walked around the flooded tip but at the brickworks many Spring flowers were out and a Barn Owl was hunting. I also saw a Tawny owl on top of a pine, it was very agitated, flicking its wings and tail and being mobbed by a Jay. I presume it had young in the area.
Saturday morning and the sun is shining but I'm back to work for a week.

2 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

Nice to see the Barn Owl,I've never come across the Duke of Argyll's Teaplant, but with a name like that, once seen never forgotten!

abbey meadows said...

Thanks K
The tea plant is scattered along the coast up here but I've overlooked them in the past.