Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Monday 15 October 2012

Carlisle Park




Giant Knotweed





Many groups of Fairy Inkcap


Ruby Tiger moth

Away from the formal gardens in the park I find lots of fungi in the old wooded hillside part of the park, in fact most of my fungi shots taken in Beech woodland are taken in Carlisle Park. The only problem is that it can be quite shady and the flash doesn't always do the plants justice. I also noticed Giant Knotweed growing here. I haven't come across this plant before unlike it's cousin Japanese Knotweed which appears to be increasing in some areas. The moth I think is Ruby Tiger which I found in my garden today.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

Hi Nigel, Your moth doesnt look like Ruby at this angle. It is also a month beyond the latest record. Have you got a better angles picture? It looks like a Dark Chestnut.

abbey meadows said...

Hi Stewart
I took several pics but most of the same angle but it wouldn't keep still. Its the colour that threw me as it looked rosy red all over with dark markings in the wings so I believed it was a late worn Ruby Tiger. I have checked out Dark Chestnut and it seems to fit that nicely...thanks.