Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Tuesday 25 March 2008

Longhirst flash

Tuesday 25th March 2008

Cold with wintery showers. Very quiet down in the meadows this morning. I went along to Longhirst flash to look for white winged Gulls. Plenty of Gulls facing into the blizzard. Despite the poor visibility a first winter Glaucous Gull was right in the middle of the flock. I then called at Bothal pond to look for the Nordic jackdaw. Before I got there I noticed a large Jackdaw flock at the boarding kennels nearby. I pulled into the farm drive to scope the flock from the comfort of the car and after five minutes I came across the bird. Good but brief views as the flock was very mobile. This is the first time I have seen this race of Jackdaw. I called in to Bothal pond and the snow persisted but a nice White Wagtail was feeding along the eastern shore of the pond. Not unexpected at this time of year but usually associated with milder weather.

No comments: