Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Monday 9 June 2008

Ulgham grange











My turn this week to check the footpaths, litter, storm damage etc at Ulgham meadows and woodland nature reserve. All quiet on that front but the meadows are looking at their finest at the moment. Loads of plants and insects around. The best for me was chimney sweeper moth; common here with over a hundred individuals flying around the Pignut, it's food plant. I found it very difficult to photograph these moths as they wouldn't keep still. The ones that did rest were flapping their wings and the wind made them sway, my excuses for the poor photo. I saw my first Large skipper and there were still a few Orange tips around. I have also included pics of Common bistort, Lesser stitchwort and looking west from the woodland edge towards the meadows and the river Lyne. A delightful spot.

4 comments:

Blyth Birder said...

We drove straight past there yesterday en route to The Forge for a pint

It was shut..and we subsequently drove straight past again and ended up in the Widdrington Inn.

Next time I think we'll stop off for a look around.

abbey meadows said...

Well worth it bb. There is a pull in beside the ford. Just follow the footpath through the wood.

Stewart said...

Our ( me and AM ) had our first Banded Demoiselle male there and nows the time...

abbey meadows said...

I was looking the other day but I didn't see any.