Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Saturday 28 June 2008

Dawn at the meadows







As I am working all weekend I thought I would have an early start this morning before work and tramp through the damp woods and meadows. I was soaked to the thighs but with the sun shining and something rare up here; warmth, it was worthwhile. Not a lot to write home about but despite the early hour there were lots of insects about. The highlight was a male Banded demoiselle beside the Highford bridge but it wouldn't settle long enough to get a photo. I did manage to get a pic of another damselfly flying about which may be a female Banded demoiselle but I am not very good at identifying these creatures with confidence. The other pics above are a few of the thousands of Common spotted orchids growing among the Great horsetails. The pinkish haze in the distance is Yorkshire fog grass. There were many Ringlets flying around the meadows, probably the earliest hour I have seen butterflies flying around.

4 comments:

John Young said...

Hi Abbey, Nice shot of the tall common spotted orchid spikes. Hot day down south today, hopefully coming your way?

foggy said...

nice photos keep it up i now have my own blog castle birding im not sure how to link it up though

ST said...

i think your green demoselle is a 'female banded' also. I have only once had them on the wansbeck a lot further down stream than you though

Stewart said...

Yes Nigel its a female. See hundreds this week in Suffolk. pictures out soon...