Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Saturday 1 May 2010

Turning a corner

Lamb's Lettuce

The temperature today was more like the beginning of March rather than May but I believe from this date many spring flowers are at their best and the common migrant birds are back. This week I have seen Buzzard over the garden and my first House martins with 7 on Wednesday. A pair of Goosander have put in an appearance beside the stepping stones and I rarely see Common Swift before May and this year was no exception but one was flying over the garden this morning. This morning I walked Bennyboy around Pegswood moor. There was Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Lesser Whitethroats and 4 Wheatears here.

Swan's Flora of Northumberland was published in 1993 and Corn salad or Lamb's Lettuce is quite scarce and scattered around VC67 but is more common further North in VC68. However, there are no records from the Widdrington Station area but as a youngster I can remember it growing next to the main railway line at Widdrington. Now it grows almost continuously for over a mile between Stobswood and Ulgham grange crossings on the edge of the railway track.

2 comments:

Phil said...

I've seen lamb's lettuce behind the dunes are Warkworth,at the Alnmouth end, a few years ago..

abbey meadows said...

Thanks Phil it is one of my favourites. Its a tiny plant that can be easily overlooked. Where it is found it appears to be plentiful but nearer home it is often found along railway teacks.