Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Monday 18 October 2010

Feeling Autumnal


Sloe berries..Widdrington tip


Colourful Hawthorns...East Chevington


Bennyboy eating Sloes


Red Legged Partridges...Widdrington tip


Pink Footed Geese...East Chevington


Another dead Seal...East Chevington

According to my 1984 Discovering Hedgerows book the best time to pick Sloe berries is just after the first frost. With a frosty morning yesterday I was at Widdrington tip this morning where the tracks are lined with Blackthorns with Sloes looking at their best.  I took some photos before I picked them. Lots of birds here but the Thrushes and most of the Pipits have moved through. There were about 20 Meadow Pipits and a dozen Skylarks. Snipe numbers were up to 25 but no sign of any Jacks yet. Other birds around here were a covey of 13 Red Legged Partridges, the most I have seen around here, 85 Pink Footed Geese (S), 60 goldfinches, 4 Redpolls, Buzzard and Jays. After this I called in at East Chevington. A good variety of Wildfowl here and a Water Rail but the main spectacle were 100s of Pink Footed Geese, some landing but most flying South. On the beach were Ringed Plover and Sanderling and 8 Red Throated Divers on the sea. A large dead Grey Seal was on the beach, my third one this Autumn.

1 comment:

Emma Anderson said...

Nice hedgerow pictures. You prompted me to look again at my Discovering Hedgerows book, thanks, and have a browse.