Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Friday 28 January 2011

Widdrington/Druridge & Harwood



Whoopers at Druridge


Crossbill...the only highlight at Harwood but the light was too poor for taking pics

Today I spent a cold day in Harwood forest. I didn't arrive until lunchtime and a couple of birders I bumped into had seen the Great Grey Shrike but a bit distant including RF. I walked as far as Tod Knowe and settled down for some bait where you can scan the whole area back to Tutehill moss. There was no sign of the bird for me today and I headed back. Harwood can be a bleak place at this time of year and by now I was freezing. There were about 30 Crossbills in various parts of the forest, a Buzzard and 5 Great spotted Woodpeckers flying together over Tutehill moss on my way back. Two more Buzzards were at Longwitton.
Yesterday I went to look around Widdrington tip and the Finch flock has dwindled to just 20 or so birds. There were 11 mealy Redpolls, 7 Lesser and 2 Siskins. 5 Snipe were flushed from the marshy area and also seen were 2 Hares and a Roe Deer. While in the area I had a look at Druridge pools. Lots of birds here especially wildfowl but of note were 2 Whooper Swans and 2 Pintail.

1 comment:

Ipin said...

Pintail is a good bird to see at Druridge these days, I've not seen these birds yet, hopefully tomorrow