Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Tuesday 24 February 2009

Along the Wansbeck

A calm river Wansbeck at Chapel woods.







Back to work tomorrow after a bit of a break. The only problem with time off when you don't go away is that there are always chores to catch up on. I didn't mind doing a bit of gardening but up the ladders cleaning the guttering out is a different story. However, I managed to see a few birds while I was up there; 2 Curlews and a Redshank flying west and circa 90 Pink footed geese flying north are birds I wouldn't have normally seen.

The Wansbeck around Morpeth has seen the best of the wildlife today. The woodland floor is beginning to be carpeted with Ransomes (Wild garlic), Cuckoo pint and Lesser celandine (above). Two Roe deer fed in the paddock at High house oblivious to me and Bennyboy this morning and at Highford bridge a single Dipper fed in the 'rapids.' A Kingfisher flew upstream; a first this year for me and further along at Lowford bridge two Kingfishers noisily chased each other. I'll have to stake these out to get a picture. Finally at Oldgate bridge a nice drake Goosander had joined the resident female but kept it's distance as I tried to get a photo.

Spent some time at Linton sifting through the gulls but Lesser black backed being the only noteworthy one. Quiet at Longhirst flash but plenty of wildfowl at Bothal including the Green winged teal. All the Teal were very vocal and active except the GWT which was sleeping while I was there. 2 Tree sparrows were in the trees here.

No comments: