Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Thursday 25 June 2009

Meldon

Meadow Cranesbill
Catsear and Great Burnet





The remains of an old platelayers cabin on the old Wanney line


My first day off for a while and it isn't raining! Biked to Meldon in search of the Nightingale. I didn't expect any decent views but it is a few years since I heard a one sing. It didn't disappoint; I forget how loud they are but the song is quite memorable. The bird was singing along the old Wanney line between Meldon lane and Howlett hall. Lots of ringlet butterflies along the track and Painted lady and my first Small skipper of the year. Two Redstarts were at the bridge, both males, one feeding young in an Oak tree and the other feeding fledged young nearby. Further along at one of the Meldon railway bridges another male Redstart carrying food and alarming. On the way back I heard young birds calling from a hole in a dead tree at Molesdon, I waited a while expecting possibly a Tree sparrow but yet another male redstart appeared carrying food into the nesthole. Four adult Redstarts within a mile plus Yellowhammers in double figures and 9 Buzzards, all of these I would have missed if I had used the car. Unfortunately I don't have the camera equipment for quality bird shots so the above will have to do.

2 comments:

Northumbrian Birding said...

Your right you do see more on the bike,bit far for me that one ,so I had to use the car.Is that line walkable, I have done the circular from Scots Gap a few times.
Brian

abbey meadows said...

I have walked only parts of the Wanney line and although I haven't come across any problems I am never quite sure whether I should be walking them legally or not.