Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Monday 19 October 2009

Backlog

Autumn in Morpeth

Linton zoo!

Its been a while since my last post but I haven't been away other than work. It was nice to be off over the weekend but it has been a bit quiet on the birding front. Last Monday the Green woodpecker was calling form High house wood and this also held 2 Marsh tits. Nine Crossbills flew east over Highford bridge but only one Dipper on the river. On Saturday I was in Harwood forest but could only manage 4 Crossbills here but the best birds were a flock of 54 Lesser Redpolls...magnificent birds these! Still a few insects around with Red admirals and Common Hawker.

Today I did a tour of the coastal ponds but not much about. Six Whooper swans flew south and Ten Shoveler on Linton being the most notable.I watched Druridge pools from the dunes to avoid the crowds looking for the Ibis. I'm not anti social but I didn't expect to see much with two people walking along the baffle banks looking onto the main pool. The Greenshank and the Scaup were the only birds that didn't fly off. Some nice Redwings in the north bushes though and a large flock of Linnet with Goldfinch in the dunes which will inevitably attract some Twite in the near future.

No comments: