Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Thursday 29 October 2009

Last of the Autumn harvest


Sloe gatherers

Stropharia aeruginosa



Pleated inkcap (Coprinus plicatilis)



Yellowleg bonnet (Mycena epipterygia)




Wood Blewit (Lepista nuda)


I usually start with Raspberries when I can find them, then Blackies, Crab apples, rosehips and finally Sloes for me gin. This year seems to be a good year for Sloes and this is the time I like to gather them. So it was off to Druridge bay cp today and let the kids do the picking while I look and listen out for birds with a promise of lunch at the cafe in the visitor centre. Much quieter today compared to earlier in the week. Still lots of Thrushes with Fieldfares, Redwings and Blackbirds in the dunes. A Bullfinch has taken up residence in the bushes in the dunes but it's not a Northern. No sign of any Phylloscs today but a Goosander flew in off the sea and headed South. I was talking to Dave Elliot at the T junction and I passed ADMc on his bike at Widdrington village. I've posted pics of more fungi from the country park.

2 comments:

Ipin said...

Did you eat thee belwits nigel? One of my faves!

abbey meadows said...

I didn't Ian but there were plenty of them. Many Bay boletes as well.