Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Thursday 14 July 2011

Musk Thistle








Musk Thistle...Old Brickworks


Wild Carrot...Widdrington tip


Wild Parsnip...Old Brickworks


Small Nettle

Another day off yesterday and another day at the old brickworks at Stobswood and Widdrington tip looking for plants and butterflies. The most numerous butterfly on the wing was Small Skipper with over a hundred seen especially at the tip. The best thing seen was Musk or Nodding Thistle (carduus nutans) an attractive and photogenic plant. Stewart (from the notebook) found some plants growing over the line on the edge of a new building site at Widdrington in 2002. I have not seen them since until now, there were 24 plants growing through the cracked concrete. Another plant that shares a similar habitat is Small Nettle (Urtica urens) but I rarely see it but I thought if I look hard enough the old brickworks would be the place to find it. The only birds of note were Sedge Warbler, Redpoll and Buzzard. This morning while walking the dog I heard a Green Woodpecker calling at High House wood, Morpeth. This is the first one in this area this year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Nigel. Musk Thistle is one of the best looking Thistle species. Wish i could find Milk Thistle again.

abbey meadows said...

Thanks Dean, Milk Thistle is long extinct in Northumberland.

Emma Anderson said...

I'll have to visit this part of Widdrington Tip when I go again, Nigel.

Stewart said...

We had a few on the Isle of Skye on roadsides Nigel...In Howick the other day I had Creeping, Spear, Slender, Welted and Marsh Thistles on one dog walk.

abbey meadows said...

Thanks for the comments. Good selection Stew. We have got some good ones in the county. Best of luck Emma, just pick a nice sunny day.