Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Monday 23 April 2012

St Georges Mushroom


St Georges Mushroom (Calocybe gambosa) Abbey Meadows


Brick Tuft (Hypholoma lateritium) Monks Ridge


Deer Shield (Pluteus cervinus)...Carlisle park


Strange orange fly on the kitchen window

This is the first time I have come across St Georges mushroom on St Georges day. I usually see it a few weeks later but it is a common species here. The weather has been more like Autumn than Spring and this has produced a large clump of Brick Tuft at Monks Ridge which is usually found in the Autumn. Deer Shield was new to me but it was growing on wood chip in Carlisle park, I took this picture last week and the fruiting bodies have now matured. They can turn up at any time of the year but are more common later in the Summer. I haven't a clue what kind of Fly it is that has an orange body like the one above.

3 comments:

Phil said...

There's a fly called Tachina fera that has an orange abdomen like that, which appears at about this time of year. The abdomen has a longitudinal dark stripe on the upper surface. It might be that .....

Flora said...

I thought you'd dug out some autumnal photos! Spring on hold down due to the April deluge. Still, not seen toothwort. Mel

abbey meadows said...

Thanks Phil, I'm not very good at fly identification but I will look that one up.
It feels more autumnal up here than spring Mel but there is always something to look at but I'm having to dodge the heavy showers.