Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Thursday 18 April 2013

Good birds at Stobswood


Clouded Drab


Peniophora lycii


Hymenochaete corrugata

Yesterday afternoon I checked the ponds at Stobswood and getting out of the car where the old offices were at East Stobswood a Red Kite was flying North West over the ponds near the railway and through the binoculars I could see the forked tail twisting as it battled against the the strong wind. It was gone in seconds flying towards Tritlington. On the ponds were a variety of wildfowl and waders the best being 2 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Common Sandpiper and 5 Ringed Plover. At Steadsburn the large lake which I believe is called Widdrington moor lake there was a flock of exactly 40 Ringed Plover on the Eastern shore. There was 2 Red Breasted Merganser on the lake, a variety of Gulls and Swallows, about 30 feeding on the Western shore.
I have been trapping moths in the garden and caught 5 of 3 species on Tuesday night, perhaps I could have caught more if it was less windy. I'm very new to this and thanks to Stewart (from the notebook) who is helping me with any species I'm finding difficult to identify confidently.

No comments: