Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Friday 23 July 2010

Crow Garlic







I came across about ten plants of Crow garlic (Allium vineale), also known as Wild onion growing on the roadside at the bottom of the bank below High house wood. It is a common plant in Southern England but it is thinly distributed in Northumberland. Most of the records come from the north of the county (VC68) chiefly along the coastal strip but only a handful from VC67 but Swan's Flora of Northumberland records them from the Morpeth area. It is the first time I have seen this plant.

2 comments:

Northumbrian Birding said...

Nice find again Nigel !!!!.
When I was getting into flowers I came across Swans at a bootsale for 50p it was a bit waterstained, but having no pictures I passed it by...oops!!!
Nigel I seem to have lost your Comment from my blog ??? thanks for that, I had not seen WLH before and to be honest they where nothing like I expected so now I know where and what to look for ...........
Brian

abbey meadows said...

Cheers Brian. Swan's is a bit out of date now but it is still an essential reference.