Abbey Meadows

Abbey Meadows

Monday 8 November 2010

Not quite a garden tick!

After the bairns left for school this morning I was down to the Low Stanners and was met by Boulmer birder, AT + children, ST and ADMc. A great tale of the riverbank was about to unfold. We drew a blank to begin with as the Heron had not been seen for 15 minutes. Birders began to walk in different directions following the Wansbeck up and down stream but still no sign.
I was on my own not sure where everyone was and I slowly made my way past East mill and up towards the bridge beside the kennels but aware that I had to get home to get ready for work I walked back through Temple's fields and back to the bridge. A birder shouted 'Its in the air' and the Squacco Heron came into view flying upstram but dropped onto the river bank just 50m downstream of the blue bridge then flew a few feet closer before disappearing into the grassy bank. I waited a while but I had to head back home.
A wonderful sighting for the town but unable to get any photos. There were 3 Dippers here and a Tree Sparrow at Temple's farm but on my way home there were 4 Waxwings at Carlisle park opposite the leisure centre. Back tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

James said...

I'm so jealous! I used to live in Morpeth for a number of years and would love to see this.